Monday, July 28, 2014

5 Pieces that Every (daily) Lolita Should Have Regardless of Style

Every lolita should have in their repertoire things which are reliable confidence-boosters. If you wear lolita on a regular basis and you don't already have these things, you will find that one or more of them will probably make your life a lot easier!

1. Try BB cream, or CC cream if you have relatively uneven skin or scars.

Clearly I need a better collaging program that doesn't leave stamps in the corner.

Parfait Doll already did an entire post about BB cream, but enough can't be said about this product for those who haven't tried it yet.  Lolita clothes, particularly prints and more extravagant materials, can easily overshadow an unkempt face and exaggerate blemishes and oily skin. I've replaced my heavy foundation with BB cream because it feels like I'm just putting a light lotion onto my skin—in other words I don't hate doing makeup any more. If you don't want to wear eyeliner, shadow, blush, bronzer, etc. etc. then just wearing BB cream by itself can give your face a soft glow.

There is quite a bit of difference between brands of BB creams that you find at the drugstore, so it's a good idea to do some research online (youtube is my favorite place for reviews) and figure out which one you're interested in instead of getting overwhelmed and picking one out at random when you go to buy one. You may decide to try Korean or Japanese brand BB creams or you may opt to try some easier-to-obtain ones first. I will be reviewing and comparing several BB creams at the end of September for my upcoming beauty series along with a friend who has a different skin type, for extra thoroughness.

2. If you wear lolita on a daily basis then you should definitely have a pair of amazingly comfortable shoes that you can beat up by wearing all the time. If you want to look cute but not damage your fancies, consider off-brand shoes or a pair of high-quality shoes that will last you for a long time.


Yes those are pastel mint boots.
I haven't had good luck with brand shoes at all, but I've found that my An*Tai*Nas and Doc Martens have withstood the gnarliest puddles and gravel while still looking good. Typically, I don't recommend Doc Marten boots to people who haven't already fleshed out their wardrobe, simply because they can be quite challenging to coord while keeping your entire outfit lolita. One not-quite-lolita offbrand shirt that works with other coords can combine with Doc boots to make the whole thing simply "lolita-inspired." Keep in mind that Doc Martens make more than boots, they also make mary janes, flats, and a variety of other shoe styles. Any particularly lolita shoe (that is to say An*Tai*Na, brand, and Bodyline alike) scuff easily for someone as rough on their feet as me, so pastel and neutral Martens are my favorite for daily wear now that my closet has a bit of body. That pair on the left has lasted 10 years and is still going strong, though certainly not unblemished. I live on a mountain, so... '>_>

3. Own at least one petticoat that refuses to die.

Rightmost brand is Malco Modes, not CollageIt.
I had a Malco Modes petticoat for several years (that just disappeared the last time I moved) that could be machine washed, machine dried, driven in for hours, and squished by dogs only to reinflate to its original size with a swish of waist. For cupcake poof, my Dear Celine Marshmallow petticoat lasted for two and a half years before deflating. Now I wear it over a Victorian Girl Dress (an eBay seller) petticoat for volume and appropriate shape. I thought that the Victorian Girl Dress petti would replace my Malco Modes one, but after five days of extreme fluff it shrank to half its size and balances precariously on the line between just-enough-volume-for-classic and not-quite-there.

4. If you are tall or enjoy an elegant touch, get an underskirt. It can completely change the feel of your coord. Chiffon is nice for the summer and for an airy, flowing look. Recently, sweet is incorporating chiffon as well, from Day Dream Carnival to the peignoir trend. Cotton is good for sweet lolita, warmer weather, and vivid opacity. If you don't need or want an underskirt, overskirts and sashes add an extra splash to outfits without the added length.


From left: Dear Celine, BtSSB, and Yotsuba's Home. The ones on the ends can be purchased from my-lolita-dress.com
5. Have something cute or classy for your head!



From left: Triple Fortune Rose Ribbon Bonnet, BtSSB Rosa Mistica Head Dress in mint, and Kidsyoyo Violin Headbands

Putting something on your head does not mean you can get away with leaving your hair boring. It's not that simple. I know because I spent two years trying to get away with it. If you have nice, voluminous hair then maybe you can get away with a decent haircut and a brush. All I know is that I cringe at old photos where I'm wearing no makeup and have stringy, bland hair that just drags down the hairpieces I put in it. The primary problem isn't even so much that the hair itself (or having it dyed an awful color for your skin) doesn't look good, it's that it's not on par with the rest of your fabulosity. This is especially true if you are doing sweet lolita or hime lolita where the bulk of your coord will make your head look tiny! Wigs are an easy and obvious solution, but you may decide to go full blown extensions and curling wand, which is what I'm working on right now.

What do you think are 5 pieces that every lolita should have regardless of style?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to find a post about comfortable footwear for lolita! I've been unable to find even one pair of shoes to my liking. Lately, I've been considering converting comfy flats into mary janes using a bit of fabric. I've seen two tutorials in the lolita world for this purpose: one for converting flats into tea parties, and one for converting flats into mary janes. It would be nice if there were some ready -made shoes I liked, though. I'm looking for something comfortable, totally flat, in line with the lolita aesthetic, and less than 50 dollars. Pretty sure it's impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find one other person to group order with (to split shipping) then it should be just a touch under $50 to use a shopping service and get shoes from taobao. Right now bodyline shipping is also fixed at $10 and they have some decent flats for $30-40. My-Lolita-dress is very easy to use but much pricier so you'd need to group order with two others to get in your range. I've never tried altering shoes before, it looks so risky >.<

      Delete