Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bodyline Review and Lace Comparison

In the past, Bodyline has been known to toss out quite shoddy items. Askew with poor quality fabric, lace, and composition (a few pieces of which I am guilty of having purchased not long ago), it was almost as should-be-avoided as any other questionable replica company. I read a review from someone stating that their newer items were okay, so I decided to give it a shot. Immediately before they opened their own online store I purchased a high waist skirt and pannier from them through cosmates.jp.

Past experience:
It took three weeks to get the items from cosmates, and they arrived in good condition. Or so I thought. The fabric in front of one (polyester/cotton blend) skirt had torn at the seam of the boning from being sewn too tightly against the plastic. I didn't notice this until I was already wearing it and the plastic piece came out of the skirt and stabbed me .__. I noticed the gaping hole in the front, and panicked when I realized that the fabric was torn near the seam and that it wasn't a simple matter of the seam coming apart. I had to use fabric glue until I could find a needle and thread to sew the hole shut. I proceeded to take out the three other plastic pieces and noticed that the skirt kept its shape okay. The skirt came with an off-white underskirt which was made of cotton. The underskirt is well made enough, and I have worn it many times with all kinds of outfits, as well as in the rain and mud. It has yet to show any signs of wear. The pannier lasted for three months (worn 8-12 times) before losing half of its volume.

This experience:
Okay- now onto the new shipment. It took four days to reach us! I selected quarter value declaration and it spent no time at customs. I split an order with my friend, she got everything in black and I got an envelope print JSK. We also both got bloomers, which were well-constructed as well. The items arrived in a heavy-duty plastic package that appeared to have been handled well. No violent abuse, holes, or stains were present. I took pictures of the opening but accidentally deleted them '>_>


First up is blouse L117.






I had to lighten the pictures to make the details more visible. The blouse is a true black. Overall, I'm happy with my friend's choice, it has a nice balanced composition for a first blouse. Well, I think so anyways. xD

It does have raschel lace on the sleeves, layered softly over the cuffs on solid black fabric. It isn't scratchy at all, and it has a pattern different than that of most lingerie >.< My largest concern is potential wrinkly-shrinkage, but only time will tell.



  

Fan of the horizontal pintucks? Yes. Fan of the rose trim? Yes. Fan of the dot lace? Eh, see for yourself.



The blouse also features cloth buttons, which I'm not a big fan of, but they are sewn on very well. The overall construction of the blouse is decent and most of the material used is of standard quality.


I am the most impressed with a skirt from their March release (L325), which I had been debating upon getting for myself. The cotton is very sturdy, the construction is very sturdy, and the design is very versatile.



It has a lace up front with satin ribbon. The ribbon is finished, as is the ribbon on the blouse, so it doesn't fray or dissolve.


One of the most impressive parts of the skirt (besides the thick cotton fabric) is the lace. That's right, I said it- the lace. Ready?



And compared to Baby on the left and Innocent World on the top:



It isn't as thick as Baby's, but it is an obvious improvement if you know or remember their older things. 

Next up is the petticoat. It's made of a very thick material. It's ACC030, for those of you who are curious.

Petticoat by itself:


Victorian Maiden Skirt by itself- heavy weight due to material and ruffles
Pardon the bathroom shots, there was no one else who could take pictures, and it's my only mirror.



$31 for a crap petti.



Shoes l52 after some of the bows have been removed:


And lastly, I got L223.



The top bow (not shown) is secured with a pin, but the bottom ones are made from the "ribbon" that's sewn all the way around the JSK. The waist ties are double sided. The material is comfortable, a bit stretchy, and stand up well to washing.

I was worried about the lace when I saw the pictures for the JSK online because it was washed out and fairly vague. I had been planning on taking it off until I got it- and was surprised with a crochet type lace.

So, overall, I would give it an 6.8 out of 10. It's worth what you pay for, and if you get a lot then the shipping is a great price too. Shipping is also fast, and the entire process is very easy.


I hope someone out there finds this useful. xD

Thank you as always for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about getting that skirt & shoes.
    How high are the heels?
    Thanks for the reveiw! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review! I would love to see the hight-waist skirt worn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review :3

    How high are the shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! You're very welcome! The heels are 3 inches, and I'll be posting picures of my friend in the skirt tomorrow/tonight in my next post. =D

    ReplyDelete