Friday, September 5, 2014

LBC: The Picture That Made You Fall In Love With Lolita and How You First Found Out About Lolita

I first started learning about lolita from sewing patterns I looked up for a German Ball Jointed Doll I was making for my aunt (I was an apprentice under Doll Master Carl in Nashville before I moved back to California.)


Not unlike the ones for sale here

My searches and research frequently led me to links about Rozen Maiden and Asian Ball Jointed Dolls. I was intrigued by how many people wanted to dress like dolls (cosplay) when the dolls were dressed as people.



As I learned more about German, French, Korean, and Japanese ball jointed dolls it didn't take me long to fall in love with Volks. In 2005 or 2006 they did a collaboration (the picture below isn't the same one, but it was a similar setup) with Baby the Stars Shine Bright and I fell into the wormhole. I never thought I would wear it myself, because I was still very gothpunk and rejecting anything that seemed "too girly."



A lot of people wouldn't say that this is lolita these days, but as I was doodling in art class one day in my junior year of high school, a friend opened a copy of Gothic & Lolita Bible and this was the first picture that caught my eye. Punk lolita was very much alive at this point, along with old school and handmade. It was just before BtSSB opened up their San Francisco store (whose opening I went to and returned resolved to make enough money to buy a dress from them). I'd already been listening to Nana Kitade's music, but I had no idea what she looked like. Looking at it now still gives me intense nostalgia. It made me believe that I could wear lolita and still incorporate my own ideas into it. Perhaps, I thought, this can also be me.



Other Lolita Blog Carnival posts for this week's theme:

A Heart's Sound
Lace a la Mode
Classical Doll
Under the Parasol
Lolita Glamour
Ice Cream Cherry
The Bloody Tea Party



No comments:

Post a Comment